Anaheim Man Sentenced to 30 Years for Plan to Join ISIS With Friend

The judge was not sure whether Muhanad Badawi had been actively recruiting for Islamic State.

The 24-year-old Anaheim man had already been convicted by a federal jury in June of conspiring to help the terrorist group in Iraq and Syria. Badawi had used his debit card to purchase a one-way ticket so that a friend, Nader Elhuzayel, could board a plane to the Middle East to join Islamic State.

On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge David O. Carter asked to listen to audiotapes of Badawi in which he seemed to be trying to entice other men from a local mosque. After listening to the recordings and a five-minute recess, Carter said he was convinced.

“I believe you’re radicalized. I believe you’re a recruiter and I believe you’re dangerous,” the judge told Badawi, who did not appear to betray emotion.

Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.