Man Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison in Connection With Pursuit That Shut Down 91 Freeway
A 26-year-old man was sentenced to 15 years in prison Friday in connection with leading authorities on a pursuit from Compton to Anaheim Hills that shut down the 91 Freeway in May, officials said.
John Raymond Lopez, of Norwalk, pleaded no contest to assault with a deadly weapon, fleeing a pursuing peace officer’s motor vehicle while driving recklessly and transport of a controlled substance, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Lopez also admitted that he was previously convicted of assault on a peace officer or firefighter in 2014.
The pursuit occurred on May 5 when Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies in Compton spotted a vehicle believed to be involved in a crime.
Lopez sped off onto the 91 Freeway when authorities attempted to pull him over, prosecutors said.
During the two-hour pursuit, Lopez hit several cars and injured a driver. He was then involved in a standoff with authorities in Anaheim Hills that shut down the freeway.
He was eventually extracted from the vehicle and taken into custody.
Lopez was found in possession of a “large amount” of drugs and officials said the vehicle he was in belonged to someone else.