Out of more than 450 protesters arrested in Los Angeles in last week’s protests against the election of Donald Trump, only one person has been charged, authorities said Wednesday.
The one individual being prosecuted was charged with and pleaded guilty to possession of brass knuckles, according to Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office.
Two cases were submitted to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office over the downtown L.A. protests, which started the night after the Nov. 8 election, DA’s office spokesman Ricardo Santiago said Wednesday.
One case was declined due to insufficient evidence and prosecutors have asked for further investigation on the other case, Santiago said.
Prosecutors have up to a year from the date of the alleged crime to file charges, Mateljan said.
An estimated 454 people were arrested in protests beginning the night of Wednesday, Nov. 9, and stretching into early Sunday, Nov. 13.
On Saturday, Nov. 12, a massive anti-Trump event brought out some 8,000 people to a march along Wilshire Boulevard from MacArthur Park toward downtown L.A. Only five people were arrested in that incident, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
LAPD Detective Meghan Aguilar said Wednesday that she couldn’t provide final arrest numbers for the nightly protests.
These are the figures that have been previously reported for nighttime and overnight arrests:
- Wednesday, Nov. 9: 28 arrests
- Thursday, Nov. 10: 226 arrests including 23 juveniles
- Friday, Nov. 11: 195 arrests including eight juveniles
- Saturday, Nov. 12: five arrests including one juvenile
The DA’s office prosecutes more serious crimes across the county, while the City Attorney’s Office handles misdemeanor crimes and municipal code violations within Los Angeles.