4 Men Hospitalized After Overdosing on Unknown Substance at Bar in Newport Beach

Four men were hospitalized after overdosing on an unknown substance at a Newport Beach bar early Friday morning, according to the Newport Beach Fire Department.

Paramedics were called to American Junkie, a bar on the peninsula in the 2400 block of Newport Boulevard, around 1 a.m. There, they found the four men unconscious, suffering from respiratory arrest, authorities said.

The men, all in their 20s, began to respond and regain consciousness after receiving oxygen from the paramedics. They were transported to three different local hospitals, according to officials.

"What they've taken is still under investigation at this time," said Batt. Chief Jeff Boyles of the NBFD. "We just know that whatever it was that they took caused all their respiratory efforts to decrease which lent itself to paramedic care."

The Newport Beach Police Department is also investigating the incident.