Man Convicted of Raping Boyle Heights Woman After Breaking Into Her Home Armed With Machete

A 23-year-old man was found guilty Thursday of raping a Boyle Heights woman last year, as well as five other charges, officials said.

Manuel Larios Munoz is shown in a booking photo released by LAPD upon his arrest in May 2015.

Manuel Larios Munoz is shown in a booking photo released by LAPD upon his arrest in May 2015.

Manuel Larios Munoz was convicted of one count each forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by foreign object, first-degree residential burglary, person present and assault, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County District Attorney.

Prosecutors said he armed himself with a machete and broke into the victim’s home on the 1800 block of Pennsylvania Avenue shortly after midnight on May 15, 2015, proceeding to sexually assault the 30-year-old woman. He had forced her living room window open and removed all his clothing, except underwear, before entering the victim’s bedroom, according to a Los Angeles Police Department press release.

The victim was unaware of Munoz’s intrusion until he was standing at the foot of her bed, police said. After assaulting her he got dressed, grabbed the machete from where he left it on the floor and left, the DA’s office said.

A month before that incident, Munoz had also attempted to rape a 34-year-old woman while she was sitting in her car across the street from the other victim’s home, prosecutors said.

Jurors deliberated more than a day before reaching a guilty verdict.

Munoz is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 7 and will face a maximum sentence of 96 years to life in prison.