3 Juveniles Arrested Following Police Pursuit of Stolen Vehicle Through San Gabriel Valley, Downtown L.A.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Three juveniles were arrested Thursday evening following a pursuit that began in El Monte and alternately spanned surface streets and freeways before ending in Boyle Heights, authorities said.

The driver and two passengers were arrested around 7:30 p.m. after the chase that lasted about 90 minutes and ultimately involved four law enforcement agencies, according to El Monte Police Lt. Ben Lowry. The incident began around 6 p.m. at the intersection of Cedar Avenue and Lower Azusa Road in El Monte after El Monte police ran the car’s license plate number and found the vehicle was stolen, he said.

El Monte officers pursued the vehicle for about 15 minutes until it started going through stale red lights, at which point the watch commander terminated the pursuit in the interest of public safety, officers said. However, the Los Angeles Police Department helicopter was in the area and tracked the vehicle, Lowry said.

The car then headed toward Monterey Park before entering the city of Baldwin Park, and Baldwin Park police began pursuing the vehicle, according to Lowry. It then entered the 10 Freeway, at which point the California Highway Patrol took over, police said.

Sky5 footage showed the driver fleeing westbound on the 10 Freeway. The car, which appeared to be a Honda Accord, was seen weaving swiftly through traffic, alternately driving on surface streets and freeways.

The vehicle was later heading northbound on the 5 Freeway, the aerial footage shows. The driver eventually began heading into denser traffic in downtown Los Angeles before heading northeast toward Glendale on Alvarado Street with police cruisers in close pursuit.

There, police rammed the vehicle in an attempt to disable it but were only successful in knocking off the back bumper. The driver headed back toward downtown Los Angeles.

The car continued weaving through city streets as it headed into the Boyle Heights area. There, around 7:30 p.m., police were able to use a pit maneuver to pin the car between a patrol vehicle and a parked vehicle near the intersection of Fickett and Inez streets.

The driver and two passengers then complied with officers ordered and surrendered, aerial footage shows. All three were arrested and are juveniles, according to LAPD’s Lowry.

The incident remains under investigation by CHP.

KTLA’s Nidia Becerra contributed to this article.