1-Year-Old Boy Abducted by Possibly Suicidal Father Found Safe in Los Angeles: CHP

An infant was found safe in Los Angeles on Friday after his father, who has joint custody, failed to return the boy to his mother in the San Francisco area.

James Lam, right, is accused of abducting 1-year-old Makai Bangoura from San Francisco on May 19, 2017. (Credit: California Highway Patrol)

The child was located around 8 p.m., California Highway Patrol tweeted. The two were located near the intersection of Sepulveda and National boulevards in the Palms area of L.A., according to Officer Liliana Preciado with the Los Angeles Police Department.

The father was taken into custody, Preciado said. It was unclear how the two were found.

An Amber Alert had been activated shortly after 2 p.m. in the Bay Area before it was extended to Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties just before 6 p.m.

The boy’s mother filed a police report Thursday evening after the father failed to transfer the child to her custody, according to Alex Bastian with the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.

The 1-year-old boy, Makai Bangoura, was taken by his 30-year-old father, Jason Lam, who may be suicidal, according to a CHP statement.

“Since working on the case we were informed of some erratic behavior, and that is why we immediately started the process of this Amber Alert,” Bastian said, adding that the mother had gone to court Thursday to obtain a new custodial status.

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated the time the child was found.

CNN Wire contributed to this report.

Jason Lam’s 2000 Toyota Corolla is seen in a photo released May 19, 2017, by California Highway Patrol.