Brentwood Brush Fire Ignited by Weed Whacker Is 95% Contained, Officials Say
A brush fire ignited by a gas-driven weed whacker in Brentwood was 95% contained Monday morning, as Los Angeles firefighters made good progress surrounding the fire overnight.
The blaze started Sunday when the muffler overheated on a brush-clearing device being used by a private company working on Mandeville Canyon Road to clear flammable material from around homes.
Ash rained down on cars, a neighbor said, but the wind was blowing away from the homes as firefighters contained flare-ups. By Monday morning, increased moisture from the coast and minimal wind was assisting firefighters, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said in a tweet.
The fire, which triggered the evacuation of five homes in a major emergency response, was reported in the 2900 block of Mandeville Canyon Road at 12:46 p.m., according to the department.
Read the full story on LATimes.com.