Three Riverside County animal shelters are offering free pet adoptions on Saturday, and those in Los Angeles County were offering discounted rates throughout the weekend.
Because the shelters are closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, the Riverside County Department of Animal Services’ yearly “Black Saturday” special encourages area residents to make adopting homeless animals part of the holiday’s traditions.
“Nowadays, you can pretty much get anything you want online,” Animal Services Director Robert Miller said in a statement. “But we know you cannot get a live dog or cat on Amazon or when you shop at Walmart. And so we’re encouraging people to consider giving a homeless pet a new chance at life at this special time of year.”
Miller added that the department has been “pleasantly surprised” by turnout at the events in previous years.
“It has historically become one of our biggest, one-day adoption events each year,” he said.
County animal services has waived fees at the following shelters:
• Coachella Valley Animal Campus: 72050 Pet Land Place, Thousand Palms
• San Jacinto Valley Animal Campus: 581 S. Grand Ave., San Jacinto
• Western Riverside County Animal Shelter: 6851 Van Buren Blvd., Jurupa Valley
The shelters are generally open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Though adopted will be free, those seeking dogs are advised that a license must be obtained for pooches aged 4 months or older if the adopter lives in Riverside County. The license costs $17 annually.
Shelters in Los Angeles County were offering a similar promotion, with discounted adoption rates that include spaying/neutering, vaccinations and microchipping.
Fees for dogs were slashed nearly in half, to $63.50 from $122. The fee includes a one-year city dog license.
The best deal is for adult cats, who can be taken home for free, while kittens four months and younger are $50.50, down from $76.
L.A. County plans to reduce fees again for the holidays on Dec. 9 and 10. The following shelters are participating through Sunday:
• East Valley Shelter: 14409 Vanowen St., Van Nuys
• Harbor Shelter: 957 N. Gaffey St. San Pedro
• North Central Shelter: 3201 Lacy St., Los Angeles
• South Los Angeles, Chesterfield Square Shelter: 1850 W. 60th St., Los Angeles
• West Los Angeles Shelter: 11361 West Pico Blvd., Los Angeles
• West Valley Shelter: 20655 Plummer St., Chatsworth
The shelters are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.