• Follow me on:

Sara joined KTLA as a reporter in October 2011. Before she moved to L.A., Sara spent 11 years working as the weekend anchor for WTNH-TV in New Haven Conn. She earned awards for her work, including an Emmy nomination for her interview with a woman who survived an attack by serial killer Michael Ross. On 9/11, Sara was in New York City covering the terrorist attacks from lower Manhattan. She is as comfortable covering politicians and severe weather as she is entertainment and feature stories.

While working full time for the local affiliate, Sara also spent five years as a correspondent for “Health Corner,” a health show on Lifetime, hosted by Joan Lunden. Sara was honored with three Telly Awards for her outstanding coverage interviewing the nation’s top doctors on the latest medical breakthroughs while profiling celebrities sharing their personal health stories. In Connecticut, Sara also hosted several charitable events for children, veterans and animals.

Sara grew up in Vermont and attended the University of Vermont where she earned a bachelor’s degree in political science. She received her first big break in TV news as an intern for WCAX-TV in Burlington, Vt. Sara landed her first full-time job in Alpena, Mich., which at the time was a the second smallest TV market in the country. She worked her way up via several markets including Green Bay, Wis., and Albany, N.Y. Sara is thrilled to have the opportunity to work in the second largest market, among some of the best journalists in Southern California.

When she’s not working, Sara loves an adventure. She’s been bungee jumping, skydiving and scuba diving. She also backpacked through Europe, New Zealand and Australia and is excited to explore the West Coast.


Recent Articles
  • This photo was posted to a Facebook page for "David-Louise Turpin" on July 24, 2016.

    Chained, Starved, Not Allowed to Bathe, Turpin Children ‘Lack a Basic Knowledge of Life,’ DA Says

    The children of David and Louise Turpin endured years of severe child abuse, including being tied up with ropes and chains for weeks, denied food and only allowed to shower once per year, the Riverside County district attorney said Thursday. The dozen oldest children were so severely malnourished they faced muscle-wasting, DA Mike Hestrin said, and have suffered cognitive impairment and nerve damage as a result of “extreme and prolonged physical abuse.” “One of the children, at age 12, is […]

  • Louise Turpin and David Turpin are seen during their arraignment in Riverside on Jan. 18, 2018. (Credit: pool)

    Perris Couple Faces 94 Years to Life in Prison After Being Charged With Torture, False Imprisonment; Pleads Not Guilty

    The couple who allegedly kept their malnourished children captive in their Perris home pleaded not guilty on all counts after being charged with torture, abuse and false imprisonment on Thursday. In a news conference on Thursday, authorities announced the charges filed against David Turpin, 56, and his wife, Louise, 49: 12 counts of torture,12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse . The father was charged with one count […]

  • Samuel Woodward, who has been charged with murder in the death of Blaze Bernstein, is seen during a court appearance on Jan. 17, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

    Former Classmate Charged With Murder in O.C. Stabbing Death of Blaze Bernstein

    The former classmate suspected of killing 19-year-old Blaze Bernstein, whose body was found in a shallow grave in Borrego Park a week after he was reported missing by his parents, was charged with murder and ordered to remain in jail without bail Wednesday. DNA evidence found at the crime scene and in the suspect’s parked vehicle led police to arrest Samuel Lincoln Woodward on suspicion of murder on Jan. 12 in connection with Bernstein’s death. He will be arraigned on […]

  • Before and After Photos Show What Mudslides Did to Montecito

    The mud came in an instant and swept away everything in its path. Trees, homes, vehicles, even people — nothing was spared from the rapidly flowing mud’s wrath. Images taken before and after the mudslides in Montecito, California, show the extent of the destruction. The neighborhood of Randall Road turned from lush green to a deep brown, with wide swaths of street transformed into a flooded landscape. The mudslides began after heavy rains early Tuesday created rivers of mud and […]

  • A body is carried on a stretcher following a police shooting in the Vermont Square neighborhood of South Los Angeles on Jan. 11, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

    Police Shoot Man in South L.A. After Responding to Reports of Man With a Knife

    Los Angeles police shot a man after responding to reports of a man with a knife in South Los Angeles on Thursday, officials confirmed. The shooting took place near the intersection of 40th Place and Menlo Avenue, between Hoover Street and Vermont Avenue, in the Vermont Square neighborhood, according to Sal Ramirez, a public information officer with the Los Angeles Police Department. Police originally told KTLA they responded to the area around 11 a.m. after a juvenile placed a 911 […]

  • Boston residents shovel out their vehicle the day after the region was hit with a "bomb cyclone" on Jan. 5, 2018. (Credit: Scott Eisen / Getty Images)

    Ice Storm Expected in Eastern and Midwestern U.S. Cities Following ‘Bomb Cyclone’

    The arctic cold should loosen up soon, but don’t pack away your earmuffs yet. An ice storm is expected to blanket Northeastern and Midwestern cities Sunday and Monday as warmer air begins to move through the Midwest and into the East, CNN meteorologists said Saturday. Ice could accumulate in cities such as Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington, New York and Atlanta, they said. Chicago has an 80% chance of snow Sunday night, whereas Boston has a 20% chance of snow showers […]

  • Grand Park decorated for New Year's Eve on Dec. 31, 2016. (Credit: Los Angeles Times)

    Thousands Expected to Attend New Year’s Eve Celebration at Grand Park in DTLA

    Thousands of revelers are expected to take part in a New Year’s Eve celebration at Grand Park in downtown Los Angeles. The festivities kick off at 8 p.m. Sunday at the park, which stretches from Spring Street to Grand Avenue, directly in front of City Hall, organizers said. The free event will feature live music, a “digital dance zone,” photo booths and supersize 3-D projections on the side of City Hall, including the big countdown to midnight. There will be […]

  • Streets were blocked off near downtown L.A. while police investigated a shooting that left an officer injured on Dec. 29, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

    LAPD Officer Shot in Ambush Attack Near Downtown L.A. in ‘Good Spirits,’ Chief Beck Says

    A Los Angeles Police officer who was shot in a suspected ambush attack near downtown Friday was described as being in “remarkably good spirits” by Chief Charlie Beck Saturday morning. The officer, who has not been identified, was shot in the left thigh and is in stable condition. She was close to the end of her probationary period after graduating from the academy when she was shot, officials said. The incident occurred about 9:50 a.m. in the Westlake district on […]

  • 2018 Rose Parade Do’s and Don’ts

    It’s always a good idea to brush up on the Rose Parade’s do’s and don’ts before heading out Pasadena. Sara Welch reports for the KTLA 5 Morning News on Dec. 29, 2017.