The KTLA 5 News Internship Program offers students the opportunity to take their studies and apply them in a real-life newsroom, working with other journalists to help produce news on air and online.
The 10-week program is open to registered students in good standing at an accredited college or university. Candidates should be majoring in journalism, communications or another applicable field.
These are paid positions.
We are currently accepting applications for spring, summer and fall.
As part of the application process, select one or more of the following teams to join:
The KTLA 5 News Assignment Desk
The assignment desk is the hub of the newsroom and the front line of news gathering. Assignment editors confirm information for a story, coordinate with crews in the field and work to find the best media out there. A passion for news is a must. Candidates should be detail-oriented and able to multitask under tight deadlines. He or she must be able to follow directions, perform duties, work well with others and make independent decisions.
- Make periodic “beat checks” to law enforcement and fire agencies in outside counties for breaking stories and spot news
- Assist reporters in the field with information gathering
- Research, fact-check and update stringer and freelance source material
- Assist planning editor in preparing and coordinating daily story coverage
- Monitor social media sites for content and breaking news
- Monitoring competing newscasts and logging content and material
- Maintain accurate accounting of third-party purchases
- Log and shot-sheet live video feeds and Sky 5 aerials of breaking stories
- Answering phones and assisting with viewer inquiries
- Seek permission/authorization to use social media material, as requested by producers
The KTLA 5 Morning News
Since 1991, the KTLA 5 Morning News has been an integral part of Southern California, bringing a mix of news, traffic, weather, entertainment and sports to millions of viewers. Intern candidates should be professional, punctual and have access to reliable transportation. Strong writing skills, positive attitude and a passion for news are crucial. Shifts typically start at 7:30 or 8 a.m. The candidate must be comfortable with technology, as he or she will be posting to KTLA.com and other digital platforms.
- Shadowing segment producers during live shows
- Assist with sending the daily post-show newsletter
- Assist segment producers in researching story ideas
- Greeting guests in the greenroom
- Attending post-show meetings
- Taking meeting notes for daily segment facility sheets
- Posting segments online with well-written descriptions and viewer info
- Printing daily segment scripts and distributing to anchors onset
The KTLA 5 Digital Team
KTLA’s digital team takes our station’s reporting and distributes it on ktla.com and on our social media channels, crafting stories specifically for a digital audience. Interns earn multiple bylines writing news stories for our website, learn how to cut and post video, and get experience creating social media posts to promote station content. The most qualified applicants will have excellent writing and copy editing skills, good news judgment, reporting experience and a passion for journalism. Knowledge of Southern California geography and governmental structure is preferred but not required.
- Write stories in AP Style covering daily local news
- Synthesize reporting from many different sources (including phone interviews, news releases, transcripts, in-field facts gathered by on-air reporters, and social media posts)
- Work with an experienced editor to improve writing skills
- Read, select and post national and international stories from the CNN Wire
- Call sources when additional reporting is needed
- Create posts in WordPress VIP
- Craft social media posts to best promote a variety of stories
- Work with on-air reporters and digital producers to best present broadcast stories online
- Watch live video feeds from Sky5 aerials to find the best video and still images
- Select and edit photos from Getty Images
- Cut and publish video from raw feeds and KTLA’s newscasts
Internship candidates can apply online at http://www.tribunemedia.com/careers/ (sort openings by internships located in Los Angeles). Then, use the form below to indicate which teams you’re interested in joining and what you hope to learn during your internship: