Story Summary

Shots Fired at Fashion Island Shopping Mall

Police arrested a man suspected of firing more than 50 rounds in a parking lot at the busy Fashion Island shopping mall in Newport Beach.fashion-island-suspect

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates

A 42-year-old man pleaded guilty Friday to firing a Glock more than 50 times at the Fashion Island shopping center in Newport Beach and was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Fashion-Island-Shooter

Mark Gurrola, 42, was sentenced to 12 years in prison after firing a gun 54 times at the Fashion Island shopping center. (Credit: KTLA)

Mark Gurrola, of Garden Grove, pleaded guilty to 54 felony counts of shooting at an occupied building and two additional felony counts of aggravated assault, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm, the Orange County District Attorney’s office said.

Prosecutors wanted a longer prison sentence, officials said.

Authorities said that on the afternoon of Dec. 15, 2012, Gurrola parked outside a Macy’s at the busy shopping center and got out of his car, carrying a Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun and six magazines. He fired 54 rounds at the store, prosecutors said.

Click here to read the full story at LATimes.com.

MarcosGurrolaNEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — A man accused of firing more than 40 shots into the air outside of the Fashion Island shopping mall last month in Newport Beach pleaded not guilty Friday to 66 charges, according to a court official.

Marcos Gurrola, 42, of Garden Grove faces charges of shooting at an occupied building, aggravated assault and sentencing enhancements for the use of a firearm in connection with a shooting outside of the Macy’s building about 4:30 p.m. Dec. 15.

The shooting took place one day after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut that left 20 children and six adults dead.

In addition to charges tied to the December shooting, prosecutors said Gurrola faces 10 counts of negligent discharge of a firearm after he allegedly fired 10 shots at Fashion Island in November 2011.

Police connected him to the 2011 shooting while investigating the recent crime, prosecutors said.

As a Glock .40 semi-automatic handgun was fired at the shopping center in December, a mother and her 4-year-old daughter suffered minor injuries from panicked shoppers pushing them, according to the Orange County district attorney’s office.

Gurrola’s next court date is scheduled for March 15 in a Newport Beach courtroom.

-Los Angeles Times

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.  (KTLA) — A Garden Grove man was charged Tuesday with more than 50 felony counts after allegedly firing dozens of shots from a semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot of the Fashion Island shopping center.

42-year-old Marcos Gurrola was charged with 54 counts of discharging a gun in public and two counts of assault for injuries suffered by a mother and her 4-year-old daughter when they were knocked to the ground in the ensuing panic.

The unemployed security guard was also charged with 10 counts of discharging a gun in public for a similar incident at the popular shopping hub in November 2011. KTLA Orange County Bureau Chief has details.

fashion-is-guyNEWPORT BEACH, Calif.  — A Garden Grove man was charged Tuesday with more than 50 felony counts after allegedly firing dozens of shots from a semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot of the Fashion Island shopping center.

42-year-old Marcos Gurrola was charged with 54 counts of discharging a gun in public and two counts of assault for injuries suffered by a mother and her 4-year-old daughter when they were knocked to the ground in the ensuing panic.

The unemployed security guard was also charged with 10 counts of discharging a gun in public for a similar incident at the popular shopping hub in November 2011.

If convicted on all counts, Gurrola faces a maximum sentence of 115 years in prison.

Gurrola’s family finds it hard to believe what he’s been accused of, but they say he seemed “out of it” only two days before the shooting at his grandmother’s wake.

“The last time I saw him was at my grandma’s wake on Thursday,” said cousin Jacob Avalos. “He was like totally different. He didn’t look like himself.”

Asked how Gurrola has changed over the years, Avalos replied: “He’s just like not in his head, like not all there.”

Avalos said that Gurrola, who was in the Navy, never seemed the to be the same when he returned from war.

He confirmed that his cousin, who is form Garden Grove, was living out of his car.

Investigators believe he was frustrated because of personal problems when he opened fire.

Newport Beach Police Chief David McGill told the Los Angeles Times that the gunman was “unhappy about a lot in life and decided this was his best way of releasing his tension.”

Police recovered a handgun and ammunition at the scene.

Authorities have also linked Gurrola to a similar shooting spree in 2011.

Investigators say an unknown suspect opened fire in a parking lot at Fashion Island on Nov. 16, 2011, shooting 10 rounds.

At the time of that shooting no suspects were identified and no injuries were reported.

New details emerge about the gunman who fired shots at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. Mary Beth McDade speaks with family members.

fashion-island-suspectNEWPORT BEACH (KTLA) — Investigators are still trying to determine a motive in the shooting at Fashion Island, while relative say the suspect may not be mentally stable.

42-year-old Marcos Gurrola remains behind bars after being arrested on Saturday, shortly after he allegedly fired off 50 rounds into the air in a parking lot near Macy’s.

Fortunately, no one was hit by a bullet during one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.

Gurrola’s family finds it hard to believe what he’s been accused of, but they say he seemed “out of it” only two days before the shooting at his grandmother’s wake.

“The last time I saw him was at my grandma’s wake on Thursday,” said cousin Jacob Avalos. “He was like totally different. He didn’t look like himself.”

Asked how Gurrola has changed over the years, Avalos replied: “He’s just like not in his head, like not all there.”

Avalos said that Gurrola, who was in the Navy, never seemed the to be the same when he returned from war.

He confirmed that his cousin, who is form Garden Grove, was living out of his car. And although Gurrola was a licensed security guard, Avalos said he didn’t think he was working anywhere.

Investigators believe he was frustrated because of personal problems when he opened fire.

Newport Beach Police Chief David McGill told the Los Angeles Times that the gunman was “unhappy about a lot in life and decided this was his best way of releasing his tension.”

Police recovered a handgun and ammunition at the scene. Gurrola is facing charges of shooting at an inhabited dwelling, and is being held on $250,000 bail.

NEWPORT BEACH (KTLA) — More information is surfacing about a man accused of firing more than 50 rounds in a parking lot at a busy shopping mall in Newport Beach on Saturday.

The suspect, identified as Marcos Gurrola, 42, was booked on a charge of shooting at an inhabited dwelling. He is being held on $250,000 bail.

No one was injured by the shots, which were fired either into the air or at the ground near the Macy’s department store around 4:30 p.m.

One person was hurt fleeing the scene, but the injury was not considered serious, authorities said.

After his arrest, Gurrola reportedly told police that he was “unhappy with life.”

Reports that Gurrola had been living in his car were accurate, Newport Beach police Lt. Jon Lewis said.

Online jail records listed Gurrola’s occupation as a “patrolman,” but  Lewis said he had no additional details other than saying Gurrola did not work in law enforcement.

State records showed Gurrola was a registered guard/patrol person with the Bureau of Security and Investigation Services. That license expires in January 2013.

A handgun was also recovered at the scene, but police did not reveal any more details about the weapon.

The state’s landmark assault-weapons law, which went into effect in 2000, banned the use of handgun magazines with more than 19 bullets.

The mall was crowded with holiday shoppers at the time of the shooting.

Some stores were immediately locked down, and many shoppers posted messages on Facebook and Twitter saying they were locked inside.

Shopper Dena Nassef told the Los Angeles Times that she and another person were walking toward Macy’s when people started yelling and running.

“With what happened in Connecticut, we were freaking out,” she said. “It was like crazy, people leaving stores.”

Newport Beach police have said the incident was not related to the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school the day before.

On Friday, a man opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., killing 20 children and six adults before turning the gun on himself.

The suspected gunman, Adam Lanza, 20, also killed his mother before the rampage began, police said.

Police do not believe holiday shoppers at Fashion Island have anything to worry about one day after a shooter opened fire in a parking lot at the Newport Beach mall. KTLA’s Stefan Chase spoke with officers at the scene.

A gunman at Fashion Island in Newport Beach apparently fired more than 50 rounds in a parking lot at the busy shopping mall before he was apprehended by police, authorities said Saturday.  Sara Welch reports.

Advertisement