Story Summary

Nairobi Mall Seige

Three floors of the Westgate Mall in Nairobi collapsed during efforts to clear terrorists who had laid siege to the building for four days, trapping bodies inside, President Uhuru Kenyatta said.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 5 updates

To anyone shopping at Nairobi’s Westgate Mall, it would likely have seemed just another store.

Kenya Mall Attack

The attack happened at an upscale shopping center (credit: WGME)

But according to a Kenyan intelligence official, the small shop concealed an ominous secret. It was rented by the Al-Shabaab terrorists, or their associates, who within a year would carry out an attack on the upscale shopping mall.

The information — revealed Friday to CNN by the source, who is close to the investigation into the attack — suggests the Somalian terror organization had been planning the operation at least that long.

How the team of terrorists got their weapons and explosives into the mall without notice is a central part of the investigation into the attack, which left at least 67 people dead and parts of the upscale mall in ruins.

Click here to read the full story on CNN.com.

NAIROBI, Kenya — Three floors of the Westgate Mall in Nairobi collapsed during efforts to clear terrorists who had laid siege to the building for four days, trapping bodies inside, President Uhuru Kenyatta said in a televised address Tuesday.

Five of the gunmen were killed in the fighting, Kenyatta said. Eleven other people had been arrested over possible connections to the attack, which left 61 civilians and six security officers dead, 62 people in the hospital and Kenya’s reputation as a bulwark of African stability in tatters.

“We have ashamed and defeated our attackers,” he said in the address, which capped a four-day ordeal in which Kenyan forces battled Al-Shabaab terrorists for control of the upscale mall.

Earlier in the day, sporadic gunfire could be heard coming from the mall as authorities made their final sweeps through the building.

Click here to read the full story on CNN.com.

NAIROBI — Kenyan security forces have rescued most of the hostages held by militants in a Nairobi shopping mall after a terror attack, a military official said late Sunday.

The Kenyan military spokesman said on Twitter that by 11 p.m., “Most of the hostages have been rescued and security forces have taken control of most parts of the building.”

By late Sunday, the death toll in Saturday’s attack on shoppers and workers in the upscale mall had risen to 68, including many children, and 175 wounded, according to the Kenya Red Cross Society.

Kenya-Soldiers

Members of the military prepared to enter the mall (CNN)

The society said earlier Sunday that 49 people remained missing, some of them presumed held hostage by members of the Somalian militant group the Shabab, which has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.

Kenya-Mall

The attack happened at an upscale mall (CNN)

CNN reported Sunday that three of the alleged gunmen in the deadly Kenya mall attack are American.

The cable news network tweeted, “Three of alleged attackers at Nairobi mall are from U.S., according to sources within terror group Al-Shabaab.”

Al-Shabaab is a Somali affiliate of al-Qaeda.

On Saturday, the group claimed responsibility for the attack and live blogged it on Twitter.

At least 68 people died in the violence and more than 175 were injured.

Nairobi, Kenya — Armed gunmen waged a tense standoff with Kenyan police and soldiers inside an upscale Nairobi shopping mall early Sunday, hours after brazenly gunning down shoppers, diners and more.

Bodies still littered the lobby and ground floor of the Westgate Mall more than 10 hours after the attack began, according to the Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre. And with gunmen dug in and an unknown number of innocent civilians — perhaps dead or being held hostage — still unaccounted for, there are fears the carnage will get even worse.

Kenya-Red-Cross-Sign

The Kenya Red Cross responded to the shooting (File Photo)

There were 39 confirmed dead as of around midnight Saturday, according to Kenya’s president, who added his close relatives are among those killed. Two gunmen, including one who was detained after being shot, are also dead.

Francis Kimenia, secretary to the Cabinet, tweeted another 293 people got treatment at three area hospitals, which “are appealing for more blood.” The wounded range in age from 2 to 78, the disaster operations center said, urging people to “remember them in your prayers.”

Click here to read the full story on CNN.com.

Advertisement