Warnings of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning as Temperatures Drop

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) — As freezing temperatures move in to many areas in Southern California this weekend, residents are pulling out their heaters.

Heaters pose a carbon monoxide danger if they are kept in a poorly ventilated area.

The Los Angeles Fire Department is joining the Southern California Gas Co. in reminding the public of safety tips to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide exposure:

— Never use a gas oven, portable barbecue or range for space heating;

— carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or the Southern California Gas Co.;

— vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint; and

— never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include nausea, headaches and paralysis.

Chris Wolfe reports.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • obidiahparuolo

    If you think Joe`s story is super,, 1 week ago my friend's cousin basically also earnt $5352 working a fourteen hour week an their house and their neighbor's mom`s neighbour has been doing this for nine months and made more than $5352 in their spare time from a labtop. follow the steps on this address,…….. BIT40.â„‚OM