Officials: Candles Caused Fire That Killed 3 Children in the Bronx

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

New York (CNN) — A fire that swept through a Bronx apartment, killing three young brothers, was caused by a candle in the kitchen area and occurred a day after the power company cut off electricity for unpaid bills, officials said Saturday.


The fire broke out Friday night just before 8 p.m. (WPIX)

“The account had a significant amount of arrears — well into the thousands of dollars,” Consolidated Edison spokesman Allan Drury told CNN.

“We try to avoid turning service off to customers. We’ll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears.”

Fire marshals have determined that the fire was accidental, said FDNY spokesman Daniel Glover.

Click here to read the full story on

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.