Allie Mac Kay was live in Santa Monica at the Water Grill. Allie whet her appetite with a taste of traditonal Italian holiday food for the Feast of Seven Fishes celebration.
1401 Ocean Avenue
For reservations call (310) 394-5669
1 oz blended oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp shallots
½ tsp chili flakes
¼ bulb shaved fennel (optional)
2 oz salmon
½ can chopped peeled tomatoes
1 T lumped crab meat
2 pieces of shrimp
1 T orange Juice
6 oz clam juice
½ T of lemon juice
- Heat pot. Add oil, garlic, shallots, and chili flakes. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add fennel (option) and cook for ½ minute.
- Add clam juice and fish. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, crab meat mussels, clams and shrimp in and stir. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add orange juice and lemon juice.
Serve with grilled sourdough bread.
RECIPE: Pan-Roasted Scallops
7oz sea scallops
1 portion toasted vegetables (see below)
Quarter head of Treviso
1tsp chopped parsley
¼ cup red wine
1 T blended Oil
Roasted Vegetable Prep:
1 cup carrots (peeled and cut into wedges)
3 each medium Parsnips (peeled and cut into wedges)
1 cup Brussel sprouts (peeled and cut in half)
½ cup Cippolini Onions (peeled)
3 T butter
2T blended Oil
- In a large roasting pan add half the oil. Add the carrots, season and cook for 2 minutes then add the parsnips and the onions.
- Reseason and then add the Brussel Sprouts and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and the thyme allow to brown and then transfer the vegetables to a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- When tender remove and cool quickly on a new sheet tray.
Season the Treviso with salt and brush lightly with blended oil. Roast in pan for 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan, season the scallops with salt and sear the scallops on each side for approx. 2-3 minutes on each side.
- In a separate pan heat the butter and add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and then place in the oven for 5 minutes until hot.
- Warm the Treviso in the oven.
- Remove the vegetables and Treviso from the pan and then place on a towel as to remove any excess grease. Correct seasoning of vegetables and then toss with chopped parsley.
- On a large white oval plate place the grilled Treviso down the center and then place the scallops on top.
- Spoon the vegetables around and then spoon the sauce over the vegetables and the edge of the plate. Finish with salt.