Two Los Angeles-area bank robberies within 10 days have prompted the FBI on Friday to ask for the public’s help identifying two men wanted in separate apparent crime sprees.
The federal agency highlighted crimes committed by the so-called Valley Bandit, who was believed to have struck banks in the San Fernando Valley 11 times since December 2012, and the Westside Gun & Bag Bandit, who was suspected of hitting eight banks in Santa Monica and the Westside of L.A. since May 2013.
The Valley Bandit had most recently robbed a Wells Fargo location in the 21800 block of Sherman Way in Canoga Park on Thursday, according to the FBI. The robber typically has a weapon, described as a revolver, near his waistband. He has pointed the gun at bank employees and customers, witnesses said, according to the FBI.
The Valley Bandit was described as Hispanic or Middle Eastern male age 25 to 35, between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet in height, and 180 to 200 pounds in weight. He has been seen in a white Mercedes-Benz SUV and a black Mercedes-Benz sedan. Surveillance photos show him in a baseball cap.
He was also suspect of committing bank robberies at the following locations and times, according to the FBI:
- Dec. 18, 2012: Bank of America, 8720 Balboa Blvd., Northridge
- June 14, 2013: Chase, 9154 Sepulveda Blvd., North Hills
- June 28, 2013: Bank of America, 20118 Roscoe Blvd., Winnetka
- July 15, 2013: Chase, 17900 Chatsworth St., Granada Hills
- July 24, 2013: Chase, 9111 Corbin Ave., Northridge
- Aug. 26, 2013: Wells Fargo, 18400 Sherman Way, Reseda
- Sept. 28, 2013: Chase, 14111 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks
- Nov. 6, 2013: Chase, 19323 Victory Blvd., Van Nuys
- Dec. 4, 2013: Wells Fargo, 6460 Platt Ave., West Hills
- Dec. 14, 2013: Chase, 11160 Balboa Ave., Granada Hills
The Westside Gun & Bag Bandit, meanwhile, was believed to have last struck Jan. 7 at a U.S. Bank location in the 1400 block of Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica. He was described as a white male between 35 and 45 years old, 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet in height and 160 to 180 pounds.
He was said to wear sunglasses and either a baseball cap or cowboy hat, while carrying a brown paper bag for stolen cash and threatening with a weapon.
The Westside Gun & Bag Bandit was also suspected in the following bank robberies, the FBI stated:
- May 22, 2013: First Republic, 431 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica
- Aug. 29, 2013: One West, 1630 Montana Ave., Santa Monica
- Sept. 25, 2013: Union Bank, 429 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica
- Oct. 22, 2013: U.S. Bank, 4700 Lincoln Blvd., Los Angeles
- Nov. 4, 2013: U.S. Bank, 3302 W. Pico Blvd., Santa Monica
- Nov. 30, 2013: Chase, 1415 Lincoln Blvd., Venice
- Dec. 11, 2013: Chase, 310 N. Fairfax Ave., Santa Monica
U.S. Bank was offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the Westside Gun & Bag Bandit’s arrest and conviction.
Anyone with information about the robbers was urged to contact their nearest FBI office or dial 911.