Colby Fire: Firefighters Make Progress; Blaze 78% Contained

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Firefighters on Sunday continued to make progress against the Colby Fire, officials said.

colby fire close up

The Colby Fire burns in the Angeles National Forest. (Credit: KTLA)

The blaze – which broke out near the intersection of Glendora Mountain Road and Colby Motorway in the Angeles National Forest – had burned 1,906 acres and was 78 percent contained as of early Sunday morning, according to a tweet from the U.S. Forest Service.

Crews planned to continue patrolling the area and checking for any hot spots, said Marc Peebles with the Southern California Interagency Incident Management Team.

Sunday’s high temperature in the area was expected to reach 87 degrees, and winds were slated to be calmer than the previous day, according to a statement issued by the Forest Service.

The fire growth potential was medium, fuels remained extremely dry, and humidity levels were anticipated in the single digits, officials said.

The final mandatory evacuation order was lifted for Mountain Cove residents Saturday evening, authorities said.

“Thank you to all the firefighters and police who helped organize and keep these fires under control,” said homeowner Baldwin Lopez. “The helicopters and the planes were amazing. The stuff that they did to put these fires down and keep them controlled was simply amazing.”

The fire was expected to be fully contained by Wednesday, according to the Forest Service’s statement.

An illegal campfire apparently ignited the blaze Thursday morning, and fire officials cited drought conditions as contributing to the blaze.

Three men in their 20s were arrested and booked on suspicion of recklessly starting the fire, Glendora police Chief Tim Staab said.

A resident had called police to report two of the men “suspiciously” walking from the fire, Staab said; those two were arrested by police, while the Forest Service took a third man into custody two hours later.

The suspects were identified as Clifford Eugene Henry, Jr., 22, of Glendora, Jonathan Carl Jarrell, 23, of Irwindale, and Steven Aguirre, 21, a homeless man from Los Angeles.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.