BREAKING: Police Investigate Report of Active Shooter in Wisconsin

Abducted Boyle Heights Toddler Found; Father in Custody for Alleged Kidnapping

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Edwin-Abraham-Vargas

A $50,000 reward was being offered in the case of 2-year-old Edwin Vargas who was allegedly kidnapped by his father Abraham Vargas on May 23, 2014. The pair were found and the father was arrested, LAPD said Aug. 22, 2014.

Nearly three months after a Boyle Heights toddler was kidnapped, allegedly by his father, prompting an Amber Alert, the boy was found and his father arrested.

Los Angeles police announced Friday that the 2-year-old was found Thursday evening and was in protective custody.

His father, Abraham Vargas, was being held in Texas on a $1 million warrant.

The pair were discovered at a Chuck E. Cheese’s restaurant in Dallas, the Los Angeles Times reported. A relative plans to fly to Texas to bring the boy back to his mother, according to the newspaper.

“This abduction generated an AMBER alert and put into motion enormous resources to ensure (the boy’s) safety,” a Los Angeles Police Department news release stated. “The search for (the boy) has been nonstop.”

The boy was sitting in his mother’s waiting van when she went to go pick up another child outside her sister’s house on May 23, when Vargas allegedly drove the vehicle away with the boy inside.

The mother, who had a restraining order against Vargas, called police and, at a news conference, tearfully recounted the abduction.

The van was found abandoned nearby several hours later. Vargas had been spotted in Boyle Heights in the days after the abduction, police said.

A $50,000 reward was offered in the case.