School District to Announce Relocation Plan for O.C. Students Displaced by Asbestos Scare
Following the closure last week of three Huntington Beach elementary schools over asbestos concerns, the Ocean View School District on Monday said it will announce a relocation plan that will “have every student in a healthy classroom this week.”
Teachers from Oak View and Hope View elementary schools were being contacted by phone Monday evening and, after reporting Tuesday to the district office in Huntington Beach, will be informed of the location of their classroom and when they can expect students to resume attendance, Tom DeLapp, an OVSD spokesman, said in an email.
Oak View and Hope View, as well as Lake View Elementary School, will remain closed to students on Tuesday and Wednesday, but “we anticipate that we will be able to start moving into clean, temporary classrooms as early as Thursday,” the email said.
At two “asbestos awareness briefings” that have been scheduled for Tuesday, district officials “are also looking forward to calming parent fears about the heath risks of asbestos exposure,” according to DeLapp.
A panel of experts will share information and answer questions from parents at the meetings, scheduled for 4 p.m. outdoors at Oak View (map) and 6 p.m. at Springview Middle School (map), the district said.