Pursuit Ends in Crash, Gunfire in South L.A.; LAPD SWAT Team Responds

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Los Angeles police deployed a SWAT Team and K-9 units in an hourslong search for up to two people after an officer opened fire on a man following a short pursuit in South L.A. early Wednesday.

A SWAT team responded in South Los Angeles after a pursuit ended in a crash on Jan. 21, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

A SWAT team responded in South Los Angeles after a pursuit ended in a crash on Jan. 21, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

The incident began shortly around 1 a.m. when a person flagged down officers patrolling the area and told them someone had a gun on 57th Street between Manhattan and Saint Andrews places, according to Sgt. Frank Preciado with the Los Angeles Police Department.

The officers attempted to make contact with a several people, but the group jumped into a vehicle and sped off, he said.

After a short pursuit that ended with the vehicle crashing into multiple cars, the driver took off running. At some point, he turned around and pointed his weapon at the officers, according to Preciado.

It was "unknown if he actually discharged the gun at the officers," but an officer opened fire on the man, Preciado said. He was unsure if the person with the gun was actually hit by gunfire.

No officers were injured.

One person was in custody, while another remained at large. A weapon has been recovered, police said.

The incident prompted LAPD's Southwest Division to go on a modified tactical alert for most of the morning hours.

A four-block radius was temporarily blocked off as an LAPD SWAT team and K-9 units swarmed the area and continued to a search for the two people, one of whom was believed to be armed.

Initially, authorities said air support would not be used because of early morning fog. A helicopter was later spotted aiding ground crews in the search.

The area cordoned off was 57th Street to Slauson Avenue to Western Avenue to Saint Andrews Place, which appeared to border the Harvard Park and Chesterfield Square neighborhoods of South L.A., according to the Los Angeles Times' mapping tool.

Residents in the area had been asked to shelter in place and to call 911 if they heard anything out of the ordinary, Preciado said.

The SWAT search was called off before 7:40 a.m.

More Video: