BREAKING: LAPD, Firefighters Respond to Shooting Near School in Van Nuys; 2 Transported

Father of Five Vanishes After Making Purchases at Rancho Cucamonga Wal-Mart

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Just days after being released from the hospital following a concussion, a Colorado father of five on a visit to Southern California vanished after making a stop at a Wal-Mart in Rancho Cucamonga.

The last images of Oliver Pareece Jones were taken by a Wal-Mart surveillance camera, which showed the 37-year-old making purchases at the store on April 5.

Family members said the divorced father was visiting Southern California with the intent of possibly relocating when he was mugged and assaulted outside The Plaza Club on La Brea Avenue.

He ended up with a concussion and was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Jones checked himself out of the hospital before treatment was completed and was headed back to Colorado when he made a stop at a Wal-Mart on Foothill Boulevard, according to his family.

A transient who told family members he had spoken to Jones outside the store was interviewed by San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies. He was not believed to be involved in Jones' disappearance, investigators said.

Video taken by a private investigator hired by the family appeared to show several items that may have been purchased by Jones near a fence behind the Wal-Mart.

"We have an investigative lead that seems to have a lot of inside knowledge about the last time that Oliver was seen," said private investigator Paul Huebl.

Jones' family spent the day posted numerous fliers around Wal-Mart, hoping that one tip will lead them to the missing dad.

"We just want to know that ... we are doing everything possible ... to reach a conclusion," the missing man's brother Jared Jones said.

A family member also assisted deputies in a search Thursday evening of an old vineyard near the 15 Freeway for any trace of Jones. The search turned up nothing.

"We've not found anything that leads us to believe he is in distress," said sheriff's spokeswoman Teresa McMahon.

His family believes the young father, who just missed one of his children's birthdays, is in grave danger.

"I just want to find him," brother Keith Jones said. "I don't know if I'll find him alive or dead, I just want to find him."

Investigators were also waiting to talk to Oliver Jones' cousin Travis, who was driving back from Las Vegas on Thursday night.

It was believed that Travis and a friend may have had an argument with Jones the night before he disappeared.

Correction: An earlier version of this story gave the incorrect date for when Jones was last seen. It has since been updated with the correct information. 

More videos: