PGA Grand Slam Pulled From Trump National Golf Course in Rancho Palos Verdes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Donald Trump’s golf enterprise is the latest casualty in the backlash over his controversial comments about Mexican immigrants.

Donald Trump, center, flashes a thumbs up as he poses with Pete Bevacqua, Chief Executive Officer of the PGA of America, left, and Derek Sprague, President of PGA America after a news conference where they announced the PGA Grand Slam of Golf site at Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles on March 10, 2015 in Rancho Palos Verdes. On July 7, both sides announced the tournament had been relocated. (credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Donald Trump, center, flashes a thumbs up as he poses with Pete Bevacqua, Chief Executive Officer of the PGA of America, left, and Derek Sprague, President of PGA America after a news conference where they announced the PGA Grand Slam of Golf site at Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles on March 10, 2015 in Rancho Palos Verdes. On July 7, both sides announced the tournament had been relocated. (credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Trump and the Professional Golfers Association “mutually agreed” to pull the PGA’s 2016 Grand Slam of Golf from Trump’s Rancho Palos Verdes golf course, according to statements from both sides out Tuesday.

The cancellation comes after Univision, NBC and Macy’s severed ties with Trump after he called some Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “killers” in comments during and since his presidential campaign launch.

Trump has refused to apologize for his comments, instead doubling down and insisting that the Mexican government is sending the worst individuals in its society across the border and into the U.S.

Trump and PGA officials met on Monday to discuss the event and agreed to move the competition to a non-Trump-owned golf course to shield the PGA from any blowback.

“The parties mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of all not to conduct the 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Trump National — Los Angeles,” the PGA said in a statement.

The Trump Organization said in a statement that Trump “does not want his friends at the PGA of America to suffer any consequences or backlash with respect to the Grand Slam of Golf.”

Trump said in the statement that he has “great respect for the PGA of America and everything they stand for.”

He added that nixing the event will give him “the time to rebuild the golf course…into the course I always wanted it to be.”