BREAKING: Actress, Director Penny Marshall Dies at 75

Man Shot by LAPD After Pursuit That Ended in El Monte Is Charged, Had Replica Gun: DA

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Raul Martinez is shown during a lengthy police pursuit that ended with LAPD opening fire on him in El Monte on June 19, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

A 34-year-old Los Angeles man has been charged in connection with a two-hour pursuit that ended with LAPD officers opening fire on him in El Monte last month.

Raul Martinez was due to be arraigned in Compton Thursday on a variety of charges, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Wednesday.

The incident began when police were called to a South Los Angeles home late June 18 for a report of domestic violence. Martinez had attacked his wife, the DA’s office stated.

He fled in his wife’s white minivan when officers arrived.

Los Angeles police opened fire on an an allegedly armed driver after a lengthy pursuit ended in El Monte on Friday, June 19, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Los Angeles police opened fire on an an allegedly armed driver after a lengthy pursuit ended in El Monte on Friday, June 19, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Los Angeles Police Department officers pursued him for about two hours, and at one point a KTLA cameraman engaged with Martinez, urging him to stop.

He allegedly called the California Highway Patrol to say that he was armed.

When the minivan came to a halt after crossing a spike strip, Martinez got out with a blanket over his head, holding a gun, police said at the time. Officers opened fired, critically wounding him.

The shooting was captured by news cameras at the scene.

The DA’s office said Wednesday the firearm he was holding was a replica.

Raul Martinez held a replica handgun, according to the DA's office, when he was shot by LAPD on June 19, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Raul Martinez held a replica handgun, according to the DA’s office, when he was shot by LAPD on June 19, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Martinez was charged with injuring a spouse, fleeing a pursuing peace officer’s motor vehicle while driving recklessly, resisting an executive officer, and brandishing a replica gun.

If convicted as charged, he faces up to 12 years in state prison.

He was arrested June 23 and since July 4 had been held without bail at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according county inmate records.