Two people suffered suffered smoke inhalation Saturday after a large blaze broke out at The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas, burning the deck at a rooftop pool, according to Nevada fire officials.
The fire started about 12:15 p.m. and was contained to the Bamboo Pool, which was “fully loaded,” hotel spokesman Brad Seidel told CNN.
Twitter erupted with images showing large flames, smoldering palm trees and plumes of black smoke billowing into the air at the popular Vegas destination, located at 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South.
Video from Twitter use @Jay_Matrix showed several people running on the desk as the blaze continued to burn.
The Clark County Fire Department, which covers the Vegas area, confirmed on Twitter at 12:41 p.m. that it responded to a fire at the hotel’s address.
“What made it move so fast were all the fake palm trees,” fire Chief Greg Cassell said at a news conference. “They’re steel tubes with 6 to 8 inches of styrofoam around them that are molded to be decorated. They look like 40-year-old palm trees that have been trimmed and well-kept, but they’re all fake.
“To us, that’s like solid gasoline,” he said.
The department later said two patients suffered smoke inhalation and one was transported to a hospital. No serious injuries were reported.
The fire was located at the pool desk and burned cabanas along with the the palm trees, the Fire Department tweeted.
Fire officials added that there was “very little extension to the building.” Several rooms on the 14th floor sustained heat damage, Cassell said.
An unknown number of guests and employees at the 3,000-room hotel, which was fully booked Saturday night, were evacuated.
KTLA’s John A. Moreno contributed to this report.