Fire crews found various hazardous materials containers while responding to a small blaze in a storage room at the Pasadena Courthouse early Monday, prompting a HazMat response that temporarily shut down the surrounding area, authorities said.
The fire was reported about 1:30 a.m. on the courthouse's third floor, according to Public Information Officer Lisa Derderian of the Pasadena Fire Department.
When fire crews arrived at the courthouse -- which is located at 300 E. Walnut St. -- they made their way to the third floor and discovered smoke along with the containers, Derderian said. The blaze was quickly extinguished, the spokeswoman said.
One firefighter inhaled a possibly toxic substance and had to be treated at the scene for "exposures," according to Derderian, who stressed the incident was not burn-related.
The firefighter was not taken to a hospital and was expected to be OK, she said.
Neighboring fire agencies have been called in to assist with the removal of the hazardous materials.
Meanwhile, East Walnut Street was expected to be closed from Euclid Avenue to Garfield Avenue for at least a few hours, according to the Fire Department.
The street was reopened by 8 a.m., according to a news release from the department.
Derderian indicated the incident had been "isolated" to the third floor, and that she expected the courthouse to open as scheduled at 8:30 a.m.
However, officials said around 8:30 a.m. that the courthouse was closed indefinitely. It was not immediately known when the court would reopen.
By 8 a.m., a long line had formed outside the building, video from the scene showed.
KTLA's Geoff Peters contributed to this story.