Three late night shootings in the span of less than four hours left two people dead and three others wounded in the South Los Angeles and Compton areas, authorities said on Sunday.
The violence began about 9:15 p.m. on Saturday in the area of East 79th Street and North Central Avenue when a triple shooting left three people injured, two of them critically, according to Lt. Duke of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The third victim was also hospitalized in stable condition, Duke said.
Then, about an hour later in Compton, a 25-year-old man was approached by four men in the 100 block of East Indigo Street and shot at least once in the upper torso, according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The victim ran toward Myrrh Street and Willowbrook Avenue, where he later collapsed. The unidentified man was pronounced dead at the scene, the release stated.
The third shooting occurred around 12:35 a.m. in the area of East 71st Street and North Central Avenue, not far from the first reported incident.
Based on the preliminary investigation, detectives believed the victim was walking southbound through the alley north of 71st when a gunman carrying a semi-automatic rifle exited a vehicle and opened fire on him, a separate news release from the county Sheriff's Department stated.
The victim was shot in the upper torso and pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been released.
No arrests have been made in any of the cases, authorities said. Investigators have not indicated whether the incidents were related.
The shootings occurred amid a recent uptick in violence in the city, including a triple shooting on Friday in South L.A. that left one man dead and two others wounded.
According to LAPD, August was the deadliest month in the city in roughly eight years, with 39 people being killed. Nearly half of the homicides occurred in the South L.A. area.
Overall, there has been a 7-percent increase in homicides in 2015 compared to the same time period last year, the Los Angeles Times reported.