Two people who were stung multiple times when a roofer uncovered a swarm of bees at a home in Costa Mesa were hospitalized Thursday, officials said.
Emergency crews responded to a medical aid call from a home in the 800 block of Liard Place (map) just after 8 a.m., said Battalion Chief Bill Kershaw of the Costa Mesa Fire Department.
A roofing company employee was removing or replacing part of the roof when he may have disturbed a bee hive in the attic of the home, Kershaw said.
The bees swarmed out of the attic and stung the employee multiple times.
The man was taken to Western Medical Center for treatment of the bee stings and for breathing problems, according to Kershaw.
A resident who lived across the street was also stung multiple times and taken to Hoag Hospital with breathing problems, Kershaw said.
It was unclear how the resident came in contact with the bees.
Fire crews showered the house with foam so the bees would be unable to fly, according to Kershaw, who said crews would wait at the home until a bee removal company arrived.
KTLA's Feven Kiflegiorgis and Jennifer Thang contributed to this report.