How to Customize Push Alerts on Your KTLA 5 News App
KTLA has a new way for you to customize breaking news alerts on your phone, bringing you the news you want, wherever you are.
Now, with the KTLA 5 News app, you can select which categories of news and information to receive notifications about. You can even receive alerts about news that’s breaking in your current ZIP code.
Here are the new categories and the estimated number of alerts you’ll receive for each:
- “Breaking news”
- You’ll be alerted when big news stories break.
- We emphasize local news but will occasionally send you alerts about stories of major national or international interest.
- Estimated frequency: 1-2 alerts per day
- Be notified when new KTLA contests and giveaways begin.
- Estimated frequency: 1-2 alerts per week.
- “Current location”
- When a new story is published that takes place in your current ZIP code — from your phone’s GPS location — you’ll get an alert.
- The frequency of these kind of alerts varies
- Be alerted of major freeway or road closures, slow downs and construction.
- Estimated frequency: 1-2 per month
- We’ll notify you about severe weather, warnings and watches in Southern California.
- Please note that this category does not include earthquakes. For those stories, sign up for “breaking news.”
- Estimated frequency: 0-1 per month
All KTLA 5 News app push alerts are muted before 8 a.m. and after 10 p.m. You can also change your phone’s audio settings to silence KTLA notifications however you prefer.
Apple iOS Instructions:
Step 1: Open the settings menu in the lower-right corner.
Step 2: Select your alert categories.
Step 1: Open the navigation menu in the upper-left corner.
Step 2: Select “My KTLA 5.”
Step 3: Select your alert categories.