The violence many feared would erupt in Chicago never materialized after police released a graphic dashcam video showing an officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
McDonald died after being shot 16 times.
Protesters took to the streets, occasionally blocking intersections and then moving on.
Police blocked their way when they tried to go up an interstate ramp.
McDonald was a black teenager. He was gunned down by Jason Van Dyke, a white Chicago officer, in October 2014.
Van Dyke was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in McDonald's death and is being held without bond.
Call for peace
Chicago had prepared for protests in advance of the video's release, which was ordered by a judge to happen no later than Wednesday.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel called for peace ahead of the video's release.
"I understand that the people will be upset and will want to protest when they see this video," Emanuel said. "We as a city must rise to this moment."
The protests ebbed and flowed through downtown Chicago, largely without incident. There were a few scuffles with officers.
Demonstrators chanted "16 shots" and "We got to fight back!"
Jay Travis has lived on the south side of Chicago for 43 years and knows the story all too well -- a young black male is killed by police.
"We love our neighborhoods, but unfortunately this has been a persistent problem in terms of excessive force being used by the police and the murder of black people with impunity by the police," she said. "So we're out of here for love for our city, we're out of here pushing for change ... and we're out here because we value the lives of black people that live throughout the city."
The NAACP said that McDonald's family and the community deserve action.
Van Dyke, who turned himself in to authorities Tuesday, is no longer being paid by the police department. Until Tuesday, he still worked for the department in a "limited duty position" as authorities investigated.
"It is my determination that this defendant's actions -- of shooting Laquan McDonald when he did not pose an immediate threat of great bodily harm or death, and his subsequent actions of shooting Laquan McDonald while he lay on the ground after previously being struck by gunfire --- were not justified and they were not a proper use of deadly force by this police officer," Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said in announcing the charges against Van Dyke.
Until last week, officials had resisted the release of the video, fearing it could jeopardize investigations.
Alvarez said the video's release moved up the timing of her announcement, but didn't dictate her decision to charge the officer with first-degree murder.
She defended the length of the investigation, saying the case was complicated.
"Maintaining public safety is my No. 1 job, and I do not want the public to view this video without knowing this very important context that with these charges we are bringing a full measure of justice that this demands," she said.
Attorney: 'His actions were appropriate'
Van Dyke's attorney Daniel Herbert defended his client's actions, saying the officer "believed he was in fear for an attack and for the safety of anyone else on the scene."
"He knows in his heart of hearts that his actions were appropriate," Herbert told the Chicago Tribune.
Authorities say McDonald was armed with a 3-inch knife when Van Dyke confronted him. The teen did not comply with "numerous police orders to drop the knife," Herbert said.
Van Dyke, 37, grew up in the Chicago area. He is married and has two children, ages 14 and 9.
The nearly seven-minute video released late Tuesday shows the dash-cam view as a patrol car approaches the scene. About five minutes and 20 seconds in, McDonald is seen running, then walking down a road toward several squad cars with flashing lights.
With his left hand near his pocket, McDonald veers away from two police officers, who have their guns drawn.
Seconds later, McDonald appears to spin around, then falls, writhing as shots keep hitting his body, sending puffs of smoke into the air.
At an afternoon hearing Tuesday, a judge temporarily denied bond for Van Dyke. Judge Donald Panarese Jr. plans to make a final determination on bond during another court hearing set for next Monday, so that he can have time to view the video.
Van Dyke's attorney said the case needs to be tried in court, not in the media or on the streets.
"People viewing this videotape will have the brilliance and benefit of hindsight 20/20 vision," Herbert told reporters.
"This is not a murder case, despite what you heard in the courtroom. It's truly not a murder case, and we feel that we will be very successful in defending this case."
Pastor: 'Many ... feel betrayed'
According to Alvarez, Van Dyke was on the scene for less than 30 seconds before he started shooting. Citing a motorist who witnessed the shooting, she said that McDonald did not do anything threatening toward Van Dyke and the other responding officers before he was shot.
McDonald appeared to be moving away from the officers, while Van Dyke took at least one step toward McDonald with his weapon drawn, she said. While McDonald was falling to the ground, the officer took at least one more step toward him.
Activists have blasted Van Dyke. Mayor Emanuel joined them, releasing a statement on the charges.
"Across Chicago there are thousands of police officers who protect our communities every day with the highest professional standards. As the State's Attorney made clear, Jason Van Dyke's actions violated those standards and also the moral standards that bind our community together. Rather than uphold the law, he took the law into his own hands, and it's now up to the justice system to hold him accountable," the mayor said.
"Chicago is on the tipping point," the Rev. Roosevelt Watkins said, according to CNN affiliate WLS-TV. "We could be just like Ferguson."
Watkins was referring to Ferguson, Missouri, which imploded in protests and riots after a white police officer shot to death unarmed black teen Michael Brown in 2014. Unrest in the St. Louis suburb lasted for months afterward.
One Twitter user compared McDonald's death to that of Walter Scott, a black man in South Carolina who was pulled over -- reportedly for a broken brake light -- and later shot in the back as he was running away from police.
City settled with the family
But what happened in Chicago differs from Ferguson in a few ways.
McDonald was armed, unlike Brown. According to toxicology test results, McDonald had PCP in his system.
And Van Dyke confronted him knowing that McDonald had "punctured a tire on a police car," his attorney said.
Another major difference is that McDonald's final moments were captured on video.
The city agreed in April to pay $5 million to McDonald's family, though the family had not filed a lawsuit.
McDonald was a ward of the state at the time of his death, according to a spokeswoman with the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. A few days before he was killed, DCFS gave him over to the custody of a relative, she said.
She also said that McDonald was the alleged victim in two abuse investigations. One happened in 2000; the other in 2003.
McDonald attended Sullivan House, an alternative school, for about two months, according to the principal there.
Thomas Gattuso remembered McDonald as someone who was outgoing, jovial, talkative and funny. He'd thought about playing basketball and wanted to get his life on track, the principal said.
"We have a tragic ending to -- unfortunately -- a tragic life of a young man, who was betrayed on a number of different levels," said McCarthy, the police superintendent.