Introducing KTLA’s New Food Show “California Cooking With Jessica Holmes”; Check It Out Here

Brush Fire in Malibu Scorches Nearly 10 Acres; 100 Percent Contained

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A brush fire that broke out in Malibu was fully contained by Thursday evening, hours after the early morning blaze had threatened several structures and forced a nearby kids camp to prepare for evacuation.

A fire was burning in Malibu on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2016. (Credit: Loudlabs)

A fire was burning in Malibu on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2016. (Credit: Loudlabs)

The fire began about 3:11 a.m. three miles north of Pacific Coast Highway near Mulholland Highway, according to Sgt. Joyce with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The fire had burned about 20 acres and firefighters were focusing on structure protection, said Inspector Chris Reade with the Fire Department at about 5 a.m. The acreage of the fire was later downgraded to 7 acres by supervisor Wright with the Fire Department.

Flames were threatening at least one home as of 4 a.m., according to an update from the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

Several homes were evacuated due to the dangerous fire conditions, but it was unclear exactly how many, according to Joyce, who described the area as sparsely populated.

The fire was burning in the vicinity of two nearby kids camps, one of which was expected to be evacuated, according to Joyce.

Some campers at Camp JCA Shalom were apparently using their own vehicles to evacuate the area, Joyce said.

The Sheriff's Department was also called to help evacuate campers who boarded busses, but the evacuation order was lifted before busses left the camp, Joyce said.

Flames were burning away from the second camp, identified by Joyce as Camp Bloomfield. An evacuation of that camp was not necessary either.

Camp Bloomfield was described as a camp for blind, visually impaired or multi-disabled children, according to their website.

Helicopters were attacking the flames with water drops as ground crews worked to contain the fire as quickly as possible, Reade said.

Winds were calm and were not yet a factor in battling the blaze, which was burning up some very steep terrain, Reade said.

Firefighters had gotten a good handle of the fire and made significant progress, Capt. Brian Jordan with the Fire Department said about 6 a.m.

Fire officials tweeted out that the fire's forward progress had been halted at 7:26 a.m.

By 6 p.m., the fire was 100 percent contained and the burned acreage was updated to 10 acres.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.

KTLA's Irving Last, Alberto Mendez and Geoff Peters contributed to this report.