Introducing KTLA’s New Food Show “California Cooking With Jessica Holmes”; Check It Out Here

Officer Fatally Shot by Gunman at Police Station in Maryland

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A 28-year-old officer from Prince George’s County, Maryland, was shot and killed Sunday after a suspect opened fire on a police station, authorities said.

The fallen officer as Jacai Colson, a four-year veteran of the Prince George's County Police Department. (Credit: @PGPDNEWS/Twitter)

The fallen officer as Jacai Colson, a four-year veteran of the Prince George’s County Police Department. (Credit: @PGPDNEWS/Twitter)

Chief Hank Stawinski told reporters that the suspect launched an unprovoked attack. Officers returned fire.

During the exchange, the suspect was wounded, Stawinski said. He is expected to survive. A second suspect was also arrested.

The chief identified the fallen officer as Jacai Colson, a four-year veteran of the department. Colson would have celebrated his 29th birthday this week.

According to Stawinski, the suspect opened fire on the first officer he saw. Other officers then became aware of what was happening and returned fire.

“It wasn’t about anything. This man launched an attack on a police station, ” the chief said about the suspect. “Officers weren’t in the process of apprehending him or engaging him in any way. They were going about their business on a Sunday afternoon, at their home, when they were attacked.”

Colson was assigned to the department’s Narcotic Enforcement Division and had worked as an undercover officer — though that had nothing to do with his killing, Stawinski said.

Fraternal Order of Police President John Teletchea described the attack as unwarranted, unprovoked, unprecedented and unacceptable.

He remembered Colson as someone with an infectious smile and tremendous personality.

“He was a police officer who was a real cop’s cop. He didn’t shy away from any calls. He never shirked his responsibility. He was always working and he was always there for his fellow brothers and sisters,” Teletchea said.

He added: “Personally, he was a very close friend of mine. I’m going to miss him dearly.”

In a statement, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said he was “shocked and saddened” by Colson’s killing. He ordered that flags fly at half-staff in his memory.