Writer Retells Story About Dad’s Accidental Death at an Airbnb Rental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A freak accident at an Airbnb rental ruins a vacation and leaves a family wondering about safety regulations.

Writer Zak Stone's account of his father's accidental death at an Airbnb rental is equal parts moving and thought provoking. It happened during what was supposed to be a relaxing family vacation in Austin.

I'll let Zak tell the story but it really makes you think about safety and liability in the sharing economy. While the big hotel chains spend millions to make sure their hotels live up to certain local safety codes, there are no similar regulations for the average person renting out their spare bedroom.

Follow KTLA Tech Reporter Rich DeMuro on Facebook or Twitter for cool apps, tech tricks & tips!

After you watch my interview with Zak, please take a moment to read his article. Then hug those close to you.

Living and Dying on Airbnb

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.