Introducing KTLA’s New Food Show “California Cooking With Jessica Holmes”; Check It Out Here

Man Shot in Head by LAPD in Los Feliz Last Year Told Witness to Call 911, Say He Had Gun: Report

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
A witness captured cellphone video of LAPD officers handcuffing a man shot by police in Los Feliz on June 19, 2015. (Credit: @realfatdaddy)

A witness captured cellphone video of LAPD officers handcuffing a man shot by police in Los Feliz on June 19, 2015. (Credit: @realfatdaddy)

The Los Angeles Police Commission on Tuesday found that officers were justified in shooting an unarmed man in Los Feliz last summer who had a towel wrapped around one of his hands.

A report released Tuesday revealed new details about the high-profile case. Minutes before he was shot and gravely wounded, Walter William DeLeon told a witness to call 911 and tell the operator he had a gun, the report said.

DeLeon, a father of two, was struck in the head and permanently injured.

According to a report Chief Charlie Beck submitted to the commission, a witness called 911 two minutes before officers saw DeLeon walking toward their patrol car, which was stopped in traffic along busy Los Feliz Boulevard.

Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.

A photo of Walter DeLeon, who was shot by LAPD officers last year, is displayed at a rally and walk in 2015.(Credit: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

A photo of Walter DeLeon, who was shot by LAPD officers last year, is displayed at a rally and walk in 2015.(Credit: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)