Toddler Bitten by Rattlesnake in Chino Hills Released From the Hospital
After spending six days in the hospital recovering from a rattlesnake bite, a 2-year-old girl was released Monday afternoon.
Olivia Evans was participating in a nature walk with her day care center in Chino Hills last Tuesday when she was bitten in the knee, according to a post on a GoFundMe page created for her.
Staff members from the day care center immediately called 911, according to parents Patrick and Mandy Evans.
News video showed the toddler lying on a gurney as firefighters and paramedics placed her in an ambulance. She was then driven to a nearby location and transferred to a rescue helicopter, which whisked her to Loma Linda University Medical Center in stable condition, according to the Chino Valley Fire District.
Olivia was placed in intensive care when she arrived at the hospital. Over the next several days the toddler received 42 vials of Crotiladae Polyvalent Immune Fab (Crofab) antivenom, her parents stated.
“The past six days have been extremely emotional for our family as Olivia’s health continues to improve, but she has a long way to go and the entire ordeal has been extremely expensive to save her life,” a post on the GoFundMe page stated.
The family was hoping to raise $200,000, so all of Olivia’s “emergency transportation, hospital medicine treatment and physical therapy can be covered from this horrific incident,” according to the family.
“Any and all donations made outside of Olivia’s expenses will be paid forward to other children suffering from similar snake bite injuries and circumstances in Southern California,” the post read.