Firefighter battled a fire at a home in Echo Park surrounded by dense brush on Monday afternoon.
The fire was reported around 3:25 p.m. in the 600 block of Echo Park Avenue, Brian Humphrey stated in an alert from the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The one-story home was well involved by the time crews arrive, according to the alert. Humphrey stated it took firefighters about 25 minutes to knock down the flames.
Two people living at the home were out when the fire erupted, but two cats still inside "proved beyond firefighter's help and perished at the scene," according to Humphrey.
Fire officials said, two adjacent homes suffered minor damage.
The cause of the fire was attributed to an unattended cigarette, according to Humphrey.
The monetary loss was unknown.