Suspect in Orange County Pursuit, Freeway Standoff Charged With 10 Felonies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The pursuit driver refused to exit the car after leading authorities from Compton to Anaheim Hills on May 5, 2016. (Credit: KTLA)

A man accused of carrying drugs and hitting two cars during an hours-long police chase from Compton to Anaheim last week was charged Monday with 10 felonies, prosecutors said.

John Raymond Lopez, 25, was arrested Thursday after fleeing police who had tried to stop the black Mercedes-Benz he was driving because it was suspected of being involved in a shooting in Compton.

Instead of stopping, Lopez sped off, prosecutors said. He hit at least two cars and injured one driver as he sped toward Anaheim on the 91 Freeway, authorities said.

The California Highway Patrol eventually got the car to stop after it drove over a spike strip. The subsequent standoff lasted for hours and ended only when police fired tear gas into the car and pulled Lopez out, officials said.

 Click here to read the full story at LATimes.com.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.