The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health ordered Southern California Gas Co. late Sunday to stop cleaning the homes of Porter Ranch-area residents affected by the gas leak at the company's Aliso Canyon facility, concluding that the utility’s contractor was not properly trained or equipped to carry out the cleanup.
The cleaning program was ordered Friday by L.A. County Superior Court Judge John Wiley, who ruled that the firm must perform remedial cleaning for up to 2,500 homeowners.
The health department said it sent environmental health specialists to monitor the cleaning performed by the utility’s contractor over the weekend and determined that the contractor and the gas company were not abiding by protocols set forth by the health department.
The Gas Co. said in a statement issued Friday that it would adhere to the county health department’s proposed protocol. A gas company representative could not be reached for comment late Sunday.
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.