Authorities on Monday announced the capture of a “very dangerous fugitive” accused of killing his 32-year-old girlfriend and her unborn child in East Hollywood last month.
Philip Patrick Policarpio, a convicted felon wanted by the Los Angeles Police Department and placed on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list, was apprehended Sunday at the California-Mexico border by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said in a statement.
Policarpio, 39, was taken into custody at the San Ysidro Port of Entry as he crossed into the United States from Tijuana, according to Eimiller, adding that the suspect was on U.S. soil at the time of the arrest.
Law enforcement officials on Tuesday morning are expected to provide additional details about the capture.
Policarpio allegedly killed Lauren Olguin at a friend’s house in East Hollywood on the morning of April 12. He argued with Olguin, punched her in the head, brandished a firearm and shot her in the head, investigators said.
Olguin, who was pregnant, died instantly, the FBI said. The unborn child did not survive.
A Los Angeles County criminal complaint against the suspect was amended earlier this month to include two counts of murder, according to the bureau. A reward of up to $100,000 was offered in the case.
At a press conference May 19, the deceased woman’s mother pleaded for the public’s help in finding Policarpio.
“My biggest fear is he’ll hurt someone else, and they’ll end up in my shoes,” she said. “You never expect to be in this position.”
At the time of the fatal shooting, Policarpio was on parole after being convicted of attempted murder, for shooting at a carload of people in Burbank in 2000, according to the FBI’s Los Angeles field office.
His mother helped him flee to the Philippines, where he was shot by police while allegedly resisting arrest, authorities said. He was convicted of assault with a firearm by an ex-felon and narcotics violations, the bureau said, and was paroled in May 2015 after serving 14 years in prison.