The gunman believed to be responsible for a deadly mass shooting over the weekend was identified by a Houston television station as Army veteran Dionisio Garza III from Rancho Cucamonga.
Garza, 25, spent two tours in Afghanistan but was “lost” and often emotional when he returned home, family members told Houston television station KPRC.
Sunday’s shooting in Houston left two people dead, including the gunman and a man in his 50s, CNN reported.
The man had been parked at an auto detail shop when he was fatally shot, CNN reported.
Six others were also struck by gunfire in what was described by police as a “random” shooting.
A backpack found near the scene contained Garza’s military discharge papers and birth certificate, KPRC reported.
Detectives have not determined a motive for the shooting, but family members in Rancho Cucamonga said Garza was struggling more than they realized.
“Something snapped. It wasn’t him anymore. I’m not making excuses. No excuses. I know he did this, but it wasn’t him anymore. My son was broken,” Garza’s father told the television station.
Garza was fatally shot by a SWAT officer, KPCR reported.