Elderly Couple Found Unresponsive in Sun Valley House Fire Later Dies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Theodore Kiapos and Aspasia Kiapos are seen in a photo posted on a GoFundMe page for the couple.

An elderly man and woman who were found unresponsive in a Sun Valley house fire Saturday night have died, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The fire was reported about 8:45 p.m. in the 9000 block of La Tuna Canyon Road in the Shadow Hills area.

Two people were trapped in the home and firefighters forced open a gate at the end of a driveway. Firefighters then went into the home through the roof and pulled the unresponsive elderly couple out of the Hacienda-style home, officials said.

The victims were taken to separate hospitals and paramedic teams were able to restore their pulses, officials said. Their conditions were updated from grave to critical, but they eventually died, according to the fire department reported.

The coroner’s office has not officially released their names, but a granddaughter identified them as 91-year-old Theodore Kiapos and 90-year-old Aspasia Kiapos, the Los Angeles Times reported.

They had been married for more than six decades, and had lived on the ranch for about 50 years, according to a GoFundMe page set up for the couple’s funeral by their granddaughter, Sophia Kiapos.

The two “were asleep in their bed, embraced in each other’s arms, as they did every night for almost 64 years of their marriage. As they were sleeping, the fire swept through their home,” Sophia Kiapos wrote.

“Ted and Aspasia’s love for one another is a testament to what true love, pure love, and unconditional love is.  They passed in body together, but live on in spirit as they dance their way through eternal peace,” she added.

The couple’s daughter was the only other person on the ranch property that night, but the conditions were too severe to attempt a rescue by the time she arrived at her parents house, according to the GoFundMe page.

She suffered significant smoke exposure and burned fingers while trying to enter the building before firefighters arrived, officials said. The woman was taken to a hospital.

It is unclear if there were functioning smoke alarms in the house because of the extensive fire damage, but the building did not have sprinklers, officials said.

A firefighter was examined for “extreme exertion,” the agency reported. He was eventually released and is expected to return to duty.

The cause of the blaze remains under investigation.

KTLA’s Tracy Bloom contributed to this story. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.