Marijuana-laced gummy ring candies are to blame for sickening 19 people at a quinceañera party Saturday night in San Francisco, health officials said Monday.
All 19 people were hospitalized after they suffered rapid heart rate, dilated pupils, high blood pressure, dizziness, lethargy, confusion and nausea – all effects of ingesting edible cannabis, according to the San Francisco Department of Public Health. The hospitalized partygoers have since recovered from their ailments and were released from area hospitals Monday.
Health officials said that 13 of the patients ranged in age from 6 to 18 years old.
“If these candies are confirmed as edible marijuana, then this event is a strong warning about the dangers of edibles, which can be very potent and hard to control dosage in the best circumstances,” Dr. Tomas Aragon, health officer for San Francisco, said in a prepared statement. “A situation like this, where they were consumed by unsuspecting people, and many children, is greatly concerning.”
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.