How to Help Those Affected by SoCal Brush Fires

Blue Cut Fire 73 Percent Contained; Wrightwood Residents Allowed to Return Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Blue Cut Fire that has scorched through nearly 58 square miles in San Bernardino County and destroyed 105 homes is now 73 percent contained, officials said Saturday night.

Residents in the Wrightwood were allowed to return home Saturday afternoon as the evacuations in that area were downgraded to voluntary. Residents will need to verify their identity at the 138 and 2 freeways, officials said.

The acreage grew slightly overnight to 37,020 acres.

Fire burns on the train tracks near Interstate 15 at Keenbrook in San Bernardino County. (Credit: Marcus Yam/ Los Angeles Times)

Fire burns on the train tracks near Interstate 15 at Keenbrook in San Bernardino County. (Credit: Marcus Yam/ Los Angeles Times)

San Bernardino County Fire Department officials announced Friday that 96 single-family homes had been destroyed in the blaze and three others had significant damage. Later officials updated the figure to 105 single-family homes.

Some 213 outbuildings were destroyed and "numerous" vehicles were lost.

Most losses were in Swarthout Valley, West Cajon Valley, Oak Hills and south Phelan, officials said.

Evacuations were lifted for Phelan Road west of Green Road to Snowline Road Friday evening.

Earlier, mandatory evacuation orders were lifted for residents west of Baldy Mesa Road to Wilson Ranch Road south of Phelan Road to Mission Street. Eastbound state Route 138 from the 15 Freeway reopened as well.

Miguel and Mabel Ramos, both 73, survey the devastation of the Blue Cut fire after it swept through their Oak Hills residence. (Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

Miguel and Mabel Ramos, both 73, survey the devastation of the Blue Cut fire after it swept through their Oak Hills residence. (Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

The evacuation centers at Sultana High School in Hesperia and the Jessie Turner Community Center in Fontana remain open.

The communities of Lyle Creek Canyon and the West Cajon Valley remain under mandatory evacuation.

Initially 34,500 structures were threatened by the fire, but fire officials now say about 3,200 structures are threatened in the areas that remain under evacuation orders.

In addition, about 7,000 residents are still not allowed to return to their homes.

Both sides of the 15 Freeway were reopened Friday through the Cajon Pass.

Southern California Edison officials said that at least 375 power poles have been damaged by the fire, affecting residents near Devore. The restoration effort is expected to last about two weeks, officials said.

The blaze began in the Cajon Pass about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and the cause remains under investigation.

Investigators are asking for the public's help in determining a cause and anyone who witnessed suspicious activity around the time the blaze started can call 1-800-47-ARSON or submit a tip online at http://wetip.com/