Bay Area Man Suffers 1-Inch Rupture in Esophagus After Eating Ghost Peppers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A 47-year-old man learned why eating a ghost pepper can be a frightful experience.

The searing ordeal occurred several months ago, but it was so terrifyingly rare that a group of Bay Area physicians wrote about it recently in the Journal of Emergency Medicine. (Just in time for Halloween.)

The man had gobbled a hamburger laden with ghost peppers during a contest at San Francisco restaurant. After ingesting the peppers, the unidentified man was driven into a violent fit of vomiting and retching.

He was taken to an emergency room at UCSF Medical Center, intubated and sent to an operating table, where doctors discovered that he had a 1-inch rupture in his esophagus.

Click here to read the full story on 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.