Man Wanted in Deadly Oklahoma Rampage That Targeted Officers, Relatives May ‘Try to Spread Disease’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man accused of killing two people and shooting four others – including two Oklahoma officers – has a medical condition and may try to spread disease, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol poster states.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol identified the suspect as 38-year-old Michael D. Vance of Chandler, Oklahoma. He is believed to be carrying an AK-47 and possibly driving a silver 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse sedan.

Around 6:30 p.m. Sunday, officers were called to reports of shots fired in the small area of Wellston, outside Oklahoma City.

Officials say when authorities arrived to the scene, Michael Vance opened fire with an AK-47, injuring two Wellston police officers.

Officer Shaun Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.

Officer Shaun Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.

One officer was shot in the foot and the second was shot in the leg, County Sheriff Charles Dougherty said. The officers were identified as Shaun Stewart and Jim Hampton.

The wounded officers returned fire, striking Vance at least twice, Dougherty said.

After the shooting, Vance allegedly stole a Wellston police vehicle and left the scene.

While inside the police vehicle, Vance went live on his personal Facebook page, saying that he was going to steal another car and it was “going to be intense.” Vance later posted another video that shows him inside a different car.

After ditching the stolen police vehicle, Vance allegedly shot and carjacked a woman. She also sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

That woman's car was found close to where two of Vance's relatives were found shot to death.

Around 10:45 a.m., authorities found the bodies of 55-year-old Ronald Wilkson and 54-year-old Kay Wilkson. Vance is the Wilksons' nephew, officials say.

The Wilksons were shot to death by their nephew, Michael Vance

Authorities say the Wilksons were shot to death by their nephew, Michael Vance

According to court documents, Ronald Wilkson was shot with an AK-47. He also reportedly had a large cut on his neck that officials say is consistent with an attempt to sever his head.

Kay Wilkson suffered similar injuries, authorities say. She also had a large cut on her shoulder area. Police believe Vance attempted to remove her arm.

Vance then allegedly stole the Wilksons' silver 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse with an Oklahoma license plate, 943-LQQ.

Around 2:30 a.m., a man matching Vance's description was reportedly shot at a gas station in Sayre, Oklahoma.

Police say the man had attempted to carjack another victim, but was unsuccessful.

The 54-year-old man injured in the shooting was transported to a local hospital where he underwent surgery. He is currently in good condition.

Authorities are still searching for Vance.

They believe he may have returned to Oklahoma County or Lincoln County.

Michael Vance

Michael Vance

There is now an arrest warrant out of Oklahoma County for Vance, who is wanted on two counts of first-degree murder, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and being in possession of firearm with prior felony conviction.

According to a wanted poster released by OHP, Vance has a medical condition and may try to spread disease.


Michael Vance wanted poster, OHP

While the medical condition was not specified, sheriff's spokesman Mark Opgrande told CNN it is "a communicable disease that can be transmitted by blood."

"It's possible he may attempt to spread it to others if he is put in a situation where that would be possible," Opgrande said.

Vance is considered armed and dangerous.

He was recently released from jail after being arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a child.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.