BREAKING: Woman Who Helped Kidnap Elizabeth Smart Has Been Released From Prison

Suspected Fugitive Taken Into Custody on San Gabriel High School Campus Amid Lockdown: Police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A suspected fugitive was apprehended on the San Gabriel High School campus Tuesday afternoon during an intense search that prompted the lockdown of three area schools, the Alhambra Police Department said.

Benedict Romero is seen in a photo released by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on April 11, 2017.

Authorities had been looking for Benedict Romero, who had walked away from an alternative custody program last week, according to Krissi Khokhobashvili, the public information officer for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. He had apparently tampered with his ankle monitor and had been in the alternative custody program since January, officials said.

He was spotted around 11 a.m. near San Gabriel High, which is located at 801 S. Ramona Avenue. The sighting prompted officials to place the campus, as well as nearby Martha Baldwin Elementary/Middle School and Granada Elementary/Middle School, on lockdown, the Alhambra Unified School District said.

A multi-agency search took place on Ramona between Mission Road and Grand Avenue while the schools were locked down, San Gabriel police tweeted.

Around 12:50 p.m., it appeared authorities had taken a man into custody on campus, aerial video from Sky5 showed.

Alhambra police confirmed Romero was located on the north side of the high school, on the athletic field, just before

A man was taken into custody in the area of San Gabriel High School on April 11, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

1 p.m., according to a statement.

Romero did not make contact with students or staff at the school, the police statement read.

The lockdowns were lifted after the fugitive was found and arrested, according to police.

KTLA’s Jennifer Thang and Steve Bien contributed to this story.