Teen Boy Among 2 Hospitalized After Car-to-Car Shooting and Crash in Boyle Heights Area: LAPD

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two people have been detained after a car-to-car shooting and crash that left two injured in the Boyle Heights area Monday morning, police said.

Paramedics worked on one of the injured victims in the Boyle Heights area on April 17, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

The shooting occurred shortly before 6:45 a.m. on Whiteside Street, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, which responded to the crash.

At least two occupants were inside the burgundy Toyota Camry when one of the victims drove it to Soto and Medford streets, where it crashed, LAPD Officer Liliana Preciado said.

The shooting victim remained in the car, while a second occupant got out and collapsed near Soto Street and Valley Boulevard.

An LAPD spokeswoman had initially described the incident as a double shooting before Officer Tony Im provided updated information, telling KTLA that one of the victims had been shot and the second sustained "blunt force trauma" from the crash.

Both victims, including one identified as a 15-year-old boy, were transported to a hospital in critical but stable condition, Preciado said.

Later in the day, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a news release that the initial shooting call was from the 3500 block of Whiteside Street, in East Los Angeles. There, the victim's vehicle was shot at with four people inside -- not two. One victim was shot, another victim had head trauma, possibly from the crash. The other two were not injured.

One of the victims was injured in a car crash. (Credit: KTLA)

The teen was the one who had been shot, according to the Sheriff's Department, which took over the investigation from LAPD.

Sky5 aerial video showed two people apparently being detained by police at nearby Lincoln Park, and Preciado confirmed they were taken in for questioning.

There were possibly three crimes scenes in the area connected to the incident, she said. Multiple streets in the area were cordoned off with crime scene tape and closed off to traffic, video from the scene showed.

It was unclear how long the road closures would last, but investigators remained at the scene until the early afternoon.

KTLA's Alexandria Hernandez and Jennifer Thang contributed to this story.