Health Officials Warn Tea Made From Deer Antlers May Cause Botulism

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Tea made from deer antlers may have sickened two Orange County residents with botulism, a serious illness caused by a bacteria that can cause paralysis, breathing difficulty and is potentially deadly.

One adult has a confirmed case of botulism, and the other has a suspected case, the Orange County Health Care Agency said Friday. An investigation by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health suggests the botulism illnesses may be connected with drinking deer antler tea obtained in March.

Health officials said anyone who purchased products in March should dispose of them. Photographs of the package released by L.A. County health officials feature illustrations of deer and roots.

Botulism is an illness caused by a toxin made by a bacterium. Symptoms of the illness include:

  • weakness
  • double vision
  • blurred vision
  • drooping eyelids
  • slurred speech
  • difficulty swallowing
  • dry mouth
  • muscle weakness.

Read the full story on LATimes.com.