‘Relaxed’ Gunman Held Beer in One Hand as He Killed 1, Injured 6 Others at San Diego Pool: Witness

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Despondent over the end of a relationship, a gunman entered the pool area of his San Diego apartment complex Sunday and began shooting indiscriminately at people gathered for a birthday party, authorities said.

At some point during the shooting, 49-year-old Peter Selis took a seat in a lounge chair, pulled out his cell phone and called his ex-girlfriend to tell her he shot two people, San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said in a news conference Tuesday.

Selis kept her on the phone as he continued shooting, killing one woman and injuring six before police shot and killed him, Zimmerman said. Another person was injured in the incident, breaking his arm while fleeing the gunfire in the upscale La Jolla Crossroads apartment complex.

A cell-phone video appears to show the gunman reclining in a chair beneath an umbrella, legs crossed as he reloads the gun in his lap, takes aim and pulls the trigger.

Though Selis was white and the victims were black and Hispanic, Zimmerman said there was "zero information" to suggest the rampage was racially motivated.

"The victims were targeted for no reason other than their mere presence," Zimmerman said. "What started as a celebration of a friend's birthday turned into a tragedy of epic proportions for all those in attendance."

What we know about the shooter

Selis broke up with his girlfriend days before the shooting, Zimmerman said. Family members described him as depressed, but said nothing in his behavior suggested this kind of violence.

"It is very clear that he was despondent over the breakup," the police chief said. "It is apparent that he wanted his girlfriend to listen in as he carried out his rampage."

Detectives are still looking into Selis' background, she said. He has no criminal history and one handgun registered in his name.

Facing significant debts, he filed for bankruptcy in 2015. He listed his occupation as car mechanic, according to a petition filed in US Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of California.

"This was a truly horrific and disturbing act. We pray for the victims and thank our first responders. Our city rejects this senseless violence," San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer said at a news conference.

'He didn't say a single word'

Six survivors were sent to area hospitals with gunshot wounds. Another person suffered a broken wrist, a broken hand and a concussion from climbing a fence during the shooting. All are expected to recover.

The first 911 call came in at 6:08 p.m., reporting two people had been shot, Zimmerman said. The second caller described hearing five to six gunshots and seeing someone outside with a gun.

As police responded to the calls, officers in a helicopter above the complex directed ground units to the suspect, she said.

Three officers confronted the shooter, Zimmerman said. He pointed his weapon at them, prompting an exchange of gunfire that killed Selis at the scene.

One witness said the gunman showed no apparent emotion as the carnage unfolded.

"He was very docile. In his facial expression, no smiling, laughing, talking," Demetrius Griffin, a Seattle-area man who attended the party, told CNN. "He let off eight rounds, reloaded, let off another eight, reloaded again."

Nobody in the party knew the shooter, who was sitting close to an exit, Griffin said. As people began scrambling and screaming, the shooter "didn't say a single word," he said.

When Selis started firing, people ran toward the fence, partygoer Haley Thames recalled. She and her friend Lauren Chapman were among those who ran for cover. As they ran, they noticed two women who had been shot and were lying in a pool of blood. One of them was Thames' cousin.

"I turn around and saw family on the ground, and it became all about that," Thames said.

Chapman said they helped lead the women out of the pool area to safety. When they reached the street, Chapman flagged down an SUV. The driver cleared out his car and drove the women and another victim to the hospital, Chapman said.

San Diego Fire Chief Brian Fennessy later identified the driver as a security guard for the apartment building.

At a news conference Monday afternoon, survivor Thomas Blea thanked the driver and the first responders who came to his aid.

"It was a terrible experience that we went through, but I'm glad that I'm all right, and I'm glad that most of my friends are all right," he said.

Shots ring out in placid neighborhood

The apartment complex, La Jolla Crossroads, is located in an affluent neighborhood near the University of California San Diego campus. Residents described the complex as typically quiet, a place that college students, physicians and military families, among others, call home.

In a span of about 30 minutes, apartment residents heard gunfire, sirens and the screams of those near the main pool, said resident Susan Berry, who was at the property but did not witness the shooting.

"People are shocked because it's an affluent neighborhood," Berry said.

When asked how he would characterize what happened, Griffin said he would not call it a terrorist act. "But it's terror," he said.

Chapman agreed that the most appropriate word to describe what happened was "terror." A junior grade lieutenant in the US Navy, she said she expects to come under attack in war zones abroad, not at home.

"I dedicate my life serving my country understanding that my life is on the line when I'm out there. But at no point in time would I think an act of terror would take place at home in the way that it did."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.