Woman Who Fired on Her Boyfriend Is Fatally Shot by Responding Long Beach Police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An armed woman was shot and killed by police after she opened fire on her boyfriend, who is a California Highway Patrol employee, police said Thursday.

Police investigate an officer-involved shooting in Long Beach on June 8, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

Officers responded to the area of Studebaker Road and East Spring Street about 11:55 p.m. Wednesday for a call about a person who apparently fired a gun at someone, according to Marlene Arrona, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department.

Responding officers arrived within minutes and found an armed woman, Arrona said. Police shouted to the woman multiple times to drop her weapon and opened fire when she failed to comply, Long Beach police said in a news release.

It is not exactly clear what prompted the woman to shoot at her boyfriend, but police said the couple was involved in an "ongoing argument."

"As he left a residence and was nearing the intersection of Studebaker Road and East Spring Street in a vehicle, the female who had left prior to him fired several shots in his direction," police said in the release.

Officers administered life-saving measures until Long Beach firefighters arrived, but the unidentified woman died at the scene.

Long Beach Police officials released this photo of a gun apparently recovered in an officer-involved shooting on June 8, 2017.

A handgun was recovered at the location, according to Arrona.

Police identified the man only as a CHP employee, but Arrona could not confirm whether he was an officer.

The man was not injured.

The incident triggered a major police response in the area.

Resident Destiny Biondi said she was at home when she heard a helicopter circling overhead.

“It’s never been like this before, so it’s weird,” Biondi said about the increased police presence in her neighborhood.

Studebaker Road between Spring Street and Wardlow Road was closed for more than 12 hours while homicide detectives investigated the shooting. The road was reopened shortly before 3 p.m.

KTLA's Alexandria Hernandez, Tracy Bloom and Nisha Gutierrez-Jaime contributed to this story.